Methodist Hall - (Monthly Programs)
50 East King Street
Littlestown, PA 17340
Museum and Welcome Center
2nd Floor - Bourgh Building

10 South QueenStreet

Littlestown, PA 17340


Incorporated and 501c3 approved.
All donations are tax deductabile.

Littlestown was layed out by
and named for Peter Klien (Little)
A window to the past.
On-line
Resources
Local Littlestown Links:


Societies of Local History

Contact
Web-Master


LAHS History


Other Littlestown Historical Facts


X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X
X

 


George Washington

George Washington passed through “Littles town” on July 2, 1779.

He left “Tawny Town” at 4:00 AM and had Breakfast in Hanover, before leaving for York.

Information from Washington’s Diary in the Library of Congress Page 167, 168

Back to Top

 

 

General Anthony Wayne

General Anthony Wayne, with a division of Washington's Army, passed through Littlestown in May of 1781 on his way to Yorktown, Va. to capture Cornwallis at the end of the Revolutionary War.

Back to Top

 

Slavery in Adams County and Littlestown

When the first United States census was taken in 1790, there were 3,737 slaves listed for Pennsylvania. With 499, York had more slaves than any other county. Most of these lived in the townships which became Adams County 10 years later.

Patrick McSherry in Germany Township owned five; Alexander Brown in Tyrone, six; Andrew Shriver in Littlestown, seven; Joshua Russell in Franklin, eight; and George Brinkerhoff in Straban, nine, etc. The record was held by the Cochran family of Hamilton Township. William owned 11 and James owned six slaves.
Other Slave owners: James McSherry , George Sherman

Every York County slave owner in 1790 knew that in Pennsylvania slavery was a slowly dying institution. As part of their program for change, those who controlled the revolutionary government passed what they called "an act for the gradual abolition of slavery.

The last slave in Adams County died in 1858.

Source - Adams County Bicentennial Tibits, April 2000.


Back to Top



Jefferson County, PA?


York County was formed from Lancaster County on July 17, 1749.
Adams County was formed from York County on January 22, 1800.


In January of 1838 a Bill was introduced in Harrisburg, titled “An act erecting parts of York and Adams counties, into a separate county to be called “Jackson”.


This county would have included Hanover, Jefferson, East Berlin, Abbottstown, New Oxford, McSherrystown and Littlestown.


Former President Jackson was very popular and had carried very strong support from this area of Pennsylvania. This was an attempt to honor the former president. This bill had very strong support from this area, but not from the rest of Adams or York county.


THIS BILL WAS NEVER ACTED UPON.

Source - Adams County Bicentennial Tibits, October 1999


Back to Top

 

 

Mason Dixon Line


Monuments on the Mason-Dixon Line. The coat of arms of Maryland's founding Calvert family is shown on one side. On the other side are the arms of William Penn. (Crown stone Markers) Plain Stone markers every mile. Crown Stone Markers every 5 miles.
The border conflict was finally settled by the King of England sending in Mason and Dixon to survey a line to determine the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland and Delaware. They started in November of 1763 and completed all but 36 miles in October 9, 1767. They could not finish because of the (Indian) danger in those last 36 miles.

Mason and Dixon surveyed just south of Littlestown in the middle of August of 1765.

Back to Top

 


Mount Joy Meteorite

"The Mount Joy Meteorite," said to be the largest meteorite found east of the Mississippi River and one of the largest ever found in the United States, was discovered, in 1877 by Jacob Snyder on his farm near Two Taverns, Mount Joy Township, while planting an apple tree near his home. Snyder extracted the "stone" which weighed more than 800 pounds. After it was determined that the "stone" was a meteorite, Snyder sold it to a private collector for $700. Parts of the meteorite are today deposited in several museums. The largest part of this meteorite is located in the museum of Natural History, Vienna, Austria.

It is possible that what has long been called the Mt. Joy meteorite fell from the sky during the meteor shower of November 1833. On the previous Wednesday morning, wrote the editor of the Gettysburg Sentinel (Nov. 18, 1833), "One of the most splendid and awful spectacles the mind can conceive of, was witnessed in the heavens." He had not the "gratification of observing it" himself, he wrote, but he learned that it had lasted for two or three hours. "The whole heavens appeared to be illuminated by countless meteors, of different sizes, which darted frequently horizontally, leaving long trains, but generally fell silently to the earth, resembling, as some term it, large flakes of snow – or as it were ‘snowing stars.’" Since reports from many other places echoed what he wrote, the editor concluded that the shower must have been ‘general throughout the country."

Source - Adams County Bicentennial Tibits, November 1999 and December 1999.


Back to Top

 

 


Littlestown Public Library

The exact date the Littlestown Free Library was created by using various homes is not known. Eventually, the Library was part of the Community Center. Today it is affiliated with the Adams County Library system.

Back to Top

 

 

 

 



Littlestown Area Historical Society's Programs
50 East King Street, Littlestown, PA 17340
Barts Centenary United Methodist Church's Historic Building