Methodist Hall - (Monthly Programs)
50 East King Street
Littlestown, PA 17340
Museum and Welcome Center
2nd Floor - Bourgh Building

10 South QueenStreet

Littlestown, PA 17340


Incorporated and 501c3 approved.
All donations are tax deductabile.

Littlestown was layed out by
and named for Peter Klien (Little)
A window to the past.
On-line
Resources
Local Littlestown Links:

 


Contact

Web-Master


Happenings in 1946

Dr. J. Eby, internationally known geologist, formerly of Littlestown, recently returned from a six-week plane trip to the British Isles and Europe as an editorial representative of a Houston, Texas, oil magazine.

Littlestown won 6 and lost 1 in the Adams County Scholastic Soccer League with the following team members: Al Bair, Hall, King, Rebert, G. Bair, Boyd, School, Reed Miller, Schwartz, and Wilt with Sentz as substitute.

Miss Mildred Joanne Mellott, Ambridge, has been elected vocational home economics teacher for Littlestown High School, it was announced by Luther W. Ritter, secretary of the Board of Education.

"While hunting strawberries on his mother's farm, Charles A. Hofe, Littlestown contractor, came across a turtle on which he had carved his initials, those of a friend and the date, 1909, when he was a boy ten years old. The carving C.A.H., 1909, E. F. K., on the bottom were plainly visible. The other initials were those of Eugene F. Kuhn." This item appeared in the newspaper 37 years after the actual carving took place.

Woody Herman, nationally known orchestra leader was a visitor in town on March 27, 1946. He was on his way to Harrisburg for a one-night engagement and stopped with a number of musicians at Stonesifer's Drug Store.

Softball teams included Lions, Rotary, Crouse Garage, News Stand, Post Office, and Bankert's.

Swimming instructions were scheduled for Renner's Cottage on the Monocacy River.

A tennis tournament was being arranged.

Karl Bankert, Walter B. Crouse, and Melvin B. Wehler returned home from a two-day fishing trip at Fisherman's Paradise. In all, Mr. Wehler has spent nine days there without even getting a bite, so has renamed the place "Fisherman's Purgatory."

Counter

 



Littlestown Area Historical Society
50 East King Street, Littlestown, PA 17340